Botox for TMJ in Fremont, CA
Although still a relatively new treatment option for TMJ, Botox has been show to improve a variety of medical conditions stemming from muscle over exertion. Disorders that include chronic migraines, uncontrollable blinking, excessive sweating and more have been treated with botox – making it a natural solution for TMJ as well.
What are the Benefits?
• Injections are minimally invasive
• Sessions are relatively painless
• Muscles are alleviated of tension
• Only specific muscles are treated
• Zero downtime after treatment
• Clenches muscles relax after injections
• Results are also aesthetically pleasing
What Causes TMJ?
Because you us this joint so often, its vulnerable to wear and tear and over time this can lead to damage, swelling, and other abnormalities at the joint juncture. TMJ pain may have other causes and symptoms.
Causes may include:
• Trauma to the mouth or jaw
• Excessive teeth grinding or bruxism
• Improper bite
• Excessive gum chewing
Symptoms may include:
• Pain and soreness in the jaw, head, neck, shoulders or ears
• Clicking, grinding, or popping sensations when you open or close your jaw
• Lock jaw
• Swelling in the jaw and face
• Sudden uncomfortable bite the feels “misaligned”
• Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) or TMJ ear pain
How does it work?
Although Botox treatment for TMJ has not yet been approved by the FDA, the injections are still highly effective at producing promising results in individuals suffering from TMJ.
Botox injections for TMJ uses Botulin Toxin Type A injected into the joint or the affected muscles to essentially paralyze and relax whichever areas are causing pain and damage. It is especially important to note that this treatment, although effective for pain, does not address the cause of your TMJ.
For the best results with this type of treatment, it is important to get a proper diagnosis and work with your doctor to solve whatever causes your TMJ symptoms in the first place, such as physical therapy or behavior modification.